The City of Nanaimo is taking the next steps to re-imagine their downtown waterfront lands.
The most recent draft of the Port Drive Waterfront Master Plan, regarding what and how to build on 1 Port Dr. was approved by Nanaimo City Council during the committee of the whole meeting on Monday, Jan. 8.
The plan includes:
- a new roundabout at the corner of Front St. behind the Port Place parkade
- transit hub for buses won’t impact road congestion
- a new park beside the Gabriola Ferry terminal
- extending the waterfront walkway through the site
- rezoning large sections of the land to allow apartments and businesses
- new apartment buildings and shops close to the water to turn the waterfront area into a thriving part of Nanaimo’s downtown
Many aspects of the future look of 1 Port Dr. are still to be determined:
- Protection Island residents asked to have a service ramp included in the plan, to provide quicker access to the Island. City staff said it would be discussed in future community consultations. A previously considered boat ramp and commuter dock for Protection Island was referenced in the draft plan but not considered over various issues.
- Organizers of a proposed $50 million Ocean Discovery Centre asked for their project to be included in the draft plan, which councillors approved unanimously.
Hi, I’m Jeff Wood and I love living in Nanaimo! And I love helping people make their move!
My wife and I moved to Nanaimo from Richmond in 2015, after raising our two kids there. We brought along our two precocious Border Collies; Jake and Cochise, who are sure they moved to Doggy Disneyland in the process. We live in Upper Lantzville and love it!
Before becoming a Realtor, I was a professional investor owning 8 multi-family properties with 24 tenants. I also spent 20 years as an Executive Headhunter, finding talented people for Fortune 500 clients in the USA and Canada. In that role, I functioned regularly as a professional negotiator, working with both sides to create a win win scenario. I also helped candidates relocate to start their new jobs and thus I have a lot of relocation experience.
Now as a realtor I apply all of these hard earned skills to the benefit of my clients, whether they’re buying, or selling, delivering results that move them!